Getting Your Project Started

In order to help you get your development or construction project started and ensure you are obtaining all the required permits and documentation, view  Steps to be Followed.

Developing and Building

Building and Development Permit applicants are encouraged to contact the Town of Broadview Development Officer (Chief Administrative Officer) prior to formal application submission in order to clarify issues related to the processing of their application(s).

The permit application and approval processes take time to complete so please be prepared for that time.

Development Permits

A development permit is required for most types of development in the Town of Broadview. The permit ensures compliance with the Zoning Bylaw and approves the appearance, location, size and use of a building in any particular lot. Certain buildings and land uses are only allowed in certain areas of the Town in order to create comfortable residential environments, as well as prosperous business settings.

Building Permits

A building permit grants you legal permission to start construction with the knowledge that the submitted drawings comply with appropriate governmental regulations. In addition, the building permit provides the means to enforce the requirements of the National Building Code of Canada 2010, the Town of Broadview Building Bylaw, as well as other laws and applicable standards to ensure compliance during construction as well as the safety of the building. A building permit shall not be issued unless a development permit, when required, has been granted first.

A building permit is required for the construction of a new building, an addition, or alteration of any building or structure, including but not limited to:

  • Building and building additions (i.e. new washroom, kitchen, bedroom, etc.)
  • Raised patios and decks measuring more than 0.6 metres in height above grade, projecting not more than 3.0 metres into the required rear yard
  • Attached or detached garages
  • Carports
  • Basement development
  • Sheds over 9.3 square metres
  • Renovations that involve significant structural, electrical, or mechanical changes

Applicants may have to contact one or more of the following departments and agencies to obtain specific information about other work that may need to be conducted outside of the scope of the development proposal. Examples: tree removal, applications for subdivision, line locates, utility service connections.

Agency Request Contact
Town of Broadview Development Officer (CAO) Development and Building Permits 306-696-2533
Public Works – Service connections and interruption of service
Solid Waste Management information
Protective Services – fire and safety code issues, hazardous materials storage
Ministry of Environment 306-787-2584
Ministry of Highways and Infrastructure Highway Commercial Developments 306-933-8333
Ministry of Government Relations Applications for Subdivision 306-933-6937
Sask Power Electrical Power Services 888-757-6937
Sask Energy Natural Gas Services 800-567-8899
SaskTel Phone Services 306-463-6055
Sask 1st Call Line Locates 866-828-4888
Information Services Corporation (ISC) Land titles information, Lot dimensions 866-275-4721


*Please note that failure to obtain the necessary permits listed below may result in a fine, as per the Planning & Development Act, 2007, Section 243(1).

*Failure to comply with all conditions as set out in the Uniform Building and Accessibility Standards Act , specifically Section 22(1) , will result in fines.

Development Fees

Payment of development fees, where applicable, is required prior to the issuance of a development permit, in accordance with the bylaws of the Town of Broadview. For more information on development fees, please contact the Town Chief Administrative Officer.

Forms, Applications, and Checklists:
Development Process and Permit Fee Schedule

Download the current Town of Broadview Development and Building Permit Fee Schedule. Completed applications should be submitted to:

Town of Broadview, Development Office
Box 430
Broadview SK
S0G 0K0

Planning and Zoning

Zoning regulates land uses within Broadview’s limits. Each parcel in the Town is assigned to a zone which describes the regulations under which that land may be used. The Zoning Bylaw 2013-05 (LINK TO BYLAW) identifies allowable uses and sets standards such as minimum lot size, maximum building height, and minimum front yard depth.

In addition, developers must consult the Building bylaw and other maps available to the public in order to located underground infrastructure and other required infrastructure and services.

Official Community Plan Bylaw 2013-04.pdf

Zoning Bylaw 2013.05.pdf

Planning and Development Act 2007.pdf

Municipalities Act.pdf

Good Luck with your Project!

Click here to download the chart.